Forums Cache
Copyright MonkeyJob Systems 2005
All rights reserved

Home FAQ Current Forums Contact
 Search For Data

Service not working properly

Related Topics:
What is a service anyways?
How do I set up FoldMonkey to run as a service?

Guest Hi, I am evaluating foldmonkey and have created a service to copy from one folder to another, creating subfolders based on file date.

it works find via the UI but when I created the service it is very intermittent. I have it set to run every 30 seconds but its done nothing for 2 hours. If I stop and start the service it runs for a while then stops again. any suggestions. I cant find any other solution that does this so hopefully you can give me some help !

all the source and target folders exist. an ftp service is constantly loading the source folder with new files.

many thanks,
Nick
monkeyjob
Site Admin

Hi, what does the service error log file say? Does it say service halted or any other error message or are there no error messages visible in the error log?

Also, what operating system and version of FoldMonkey are you running?

Regards,
monkeyjob.

Guest the error log gives no details of any errors.
It gives the usual messages about copying files etc dated the last time it ran but then there are no more entries after that. Its like the schedule just 'forgets' to run anymore.

The service is still 'started' and there are no errors in windows event log.

Its windows 2003 server with latest version of foldmonkey (downloaded 2 days ago).
monkeyjob
Site Admin

Hi,
FoldMonkey ignores files when they have already been worked on based on file name. This could be the cause of the issue that you are experiencing.

For example, if you set FoldMonkey to copy c:\folder\myfile.txt to c:\myfile.txt, FoldMonkey will copy the file. If you then replace c:\folder\myfile.txt with another file with the same file name, FoldMonkey will not work on the new file as it has the same file name as a file that has previously been worked on (and so FoldMonkey will ignore this file but should continue to scan for other new files).

You can manually test if the service is still running by creating a new file in the monitored folder. If that file is worked on (copied or moved or renamed) by the FoldMonkey service then you know that the service is still running and has not terminated abnormally.

Also, FoldMonkey will not be able to work on a file if it is locked (for example, if the file is being uploaded or accessed by another program). If this occurs, FoldMonkey should wait until the file becomes available before running on that file.

If you are using file patterns then FoldMonkey will also ignore files that do not match the specified file pattern (for example, if you use a pattern mask of *.txt then foldmonkey will not work on myfile.html)

Rather than check the windows event log, we recommend that you check the error log file for the specific service. By default this will be c:\fomerrors.txt. Currently, there is no easy method to verify this but we hope to fix this bug in the next release.

Regards,
monkeyjob.

| About Us | Privacy | Terms | Affiliates | Partners | Copyright ©2003 MonkeyJob Systems All Rights Reserved |