Forums Cache
Copyright MonkeyJob Systems 2005
All rights reserved

Home FAQ Current Forums Contact
 Search For Data

Service only works once and then stops working?

Related Topics:
What is a service anyways?
How do I set up FoldMonkey to run as a service?

Guest Hi,

When I create a service it works the first time round (when I click Add/Replace Service in the GUI). If I reboot or stop / restart the service manually, I get:
Process: MyProcess
Entry Date: 12/09/2005 16:52:17
Could not find path: G:\
Create path or remove service!
This session will resume on re-boot.
Session Ended
To make the service work again, I have to go back in the GUI and click Add/Replace Service again.

Also, I'm getting the run-time error 372 - Failed to load CtrlTreeDir when I click Change in Monitor Folder (as mentioned by someone else in another post).

Thank you for your help.

monkeyjob
Site Admin

Hi,
we believe that the error you get when you try to change folder is caused by a fault in the installer. We have updated the installer and you can now download the updated version from www.monkeyjob.com/FoldMonk.html

As for the other bug that you mentioned, we are not sure what may be causing this but we will investigate further and update this topic when we have made progress.

Regards,
monkeyjob.

monkeyjob
Site Admin

Hi,
having tested this functionality, we were unable to re-create the problem that you encountered. If you wish to help us further, please provide the following information where possible:

Does drive g:\ exist?
What type of drive is drive g:\ (hard drive, cd or other)?
Is the drive connected/mapped automatically at logon or is it a local drive?
Are you able to read from or write to drive g:\?
What method are you using to manually stop the FoldMonkey service?
What operating system (version of windows) are you running?
What version FoldMonkey are you using?

Regards,
monkeyjob.

Guest monkeyjob wrote:

Does drive g:\ exist?

Yes

monkeyjob wrote:

What type of drive is drive g:\ (hard drive, cd or other)?

It's a mapped network drive

monkeyjob wrote:

Is the drive connected/mapped automatically at logon or is it a local drive?

It's a mapped network drive that reconnects at logon (although straight after a reboot Windows Explorer says "Disconnected Network Drive")

monkeyjob wrote:

Are you able to read from or write to drive g:\?

Yes

monkeyjob wrote:

What method are you using to manually stop the FoldMonkey service?

Computer Management > Services and Applications > Services

monkeyjob wrote:

What operating system (version of windows) are you running?

Windows XP SP2 (on FolderMonkey and remote PC)

monkeyjob wrote:

What version FoldMonkey are you using?

I was using 1.35 - now 1.37

If I create the service and restart it in Computer Management > Services before rebooting it'll still work.
If I reboot the computer, the service stops working (although it says it's started in the Computer Management > Services). If I restart the service, it still doesn't work. I have to recreate it in the FolderMonkey GUI.

The run-time error 372 is fixed in v1.37.

Thank you

PS. only 5 days left in eval copy
monkeyjob
Site Admin

Hi,
we have now (hopefully) fixed this bug. You can download version 1.38 from www.monkeyjob.com.

Regards,
monkeyjob.
gezza
I'm runnig version 1.38 and I'm still having the same problem

Thanks
Gezza
monkeyjob
Site Admin

Hi,
this could be an installation issue - that is, possibly you installed the new version whilst the old version service was still running and therefore the old service was not overwritten.

You can get around this using the following steps:

1. Right click on the FoldMonkey icon and select "Run as administrator".

2. Use the FoldMonkey service control panel to remove all FoldMonkey services.

3. Close all open FoldMonkey windows and if the FoldMonkey icon is still in your system tray, right click it and select "Exit" from the popup menu.

4. Download and install FoldMonkey from

http://www.monkeyjob.com/FoldMonk.html

5. Right click on the FoldMonkey icon and select "Run as administrator". Re-create the service using a different name to any previous servcies that you have made, making a note of where the service error log is.

6. If you are still experiencing this problem, please email or post on this forum, the contents of the error log (see the above step).

Regards,
monkeyjob.
gezza
monkeyjob wrote:

2. Use the FoldMonkey service control panel to remove all FoldMonkey services. Removed 1 service in the GUI but I had to go in the registry to remove the other.

monkeyjob wrote:
3. Close all open FoldMonkey windows and if the FoldMonkey icon is still in your system tray, right click it and select "Exit" from the popup menu.
Uninstalled FoldMonkey in Control Panel. Deleted FoldMonkey folder in C:\Program Files and rebooted.
monkeyjob wrote:

4. Download and install FoldMonkey from

5. Right click on the FoldMonkey icon and select "Run as administrator". Re-create the service using a different name to any previous servcies that you have made, making a note of where the service error log is.

6. If you are still experiencing this problem, please email or post on this forum, the contents of the error log (see the above step). Done that. Still having the same Problem. Log Below.

Thanks for your help

FoldMonkey Service Error Logs:

Process: GERALD 'This is when I first install the Service
Entry Date: 05/10/2005 10:14:43
Service Started

Process: GERALD 'This is when I reboot
Entry Date: 05/10/2005 10:20:08
Could not find monitor path: G:\

Process: GERALD 'This is when I change the service logon to administrator@domain and restart the service
Entry Date: 05/10/2005 10:23:36

Process: GERALD 'This is when I change the service logon to domain\administrator and restart the service
Entry Date: 05/10/2005 10:24:39

Process: GERALD 'This is when I recreate the service in the FolderMonkey GUI. It has kept domain/administrator as the logon name
Entry Date: 05/10/2005 10:29:28
The service was removed

Process: GERALD
Entry Date: 05/10/2005 10:29:36
Service Started

'Now I restart the PC. Although my service is set to start automatically, it doesn't start.

Process: GERALD 'This is when I start the service manually in MMC
Entry Date: 05/10/2005 10:36:52
monkeyjob
Site Admin

Hi,
thanks to the information that you have provided, we were able to re-produce the bug and find a few others.

We can provide no direct fix for this bug but we can offer a work-around (using version 1.40)

Using the latest version, when you create a service for a mapped network drive, FoldMonkey will not create a service but instead, a start up item (in your registry).

This will work in the same way as the service with the exception that scanning will be halted when you log off and then automatically resumed when you log back on.

One of the other bugs that we found is that when you log back on, files that were previously worked on (if they are still present) will be worked on again.

We intend to fix this and other bugs that we have discovered in later releases.

Please take the following action:

2. Use the FoldMonkey service control panel to remove all FoldMonkey services.

4. If you have registered FoldMonkey, launch FoldMonkey again and select the Online/Update menu item. Otherwise, download and install FoldMonkey from

5. Right click on the FoldMonkey icon and select "Run as administrator". Re-create the service.

Regards,
monkeyjob.

| About Us | Privacy | Terms | Affiliates | Partners | Copyright ©2003 MonkeyJob Systems All Rights Reserved |