Forums Cache
Copyright MonkeyJob Systems 2005
All rights reserved

Home FAQ Current Forums Contact
 Search For Data

Transfer files from c disk to d disk

Related Topics:
FileMonkey File Operations

I have Microsoft XP. My c drive only has 2% available space but my d drive is wide open. How do I transfer my largest files from c to d. Any help you can give would be very appreciated.
monkeyjob

Target C:\ in the folder list in the main window. Click on the "Use Filters" arrow at the bottom of the main window and then tick the "file size" tick box. Enter a file size of say greater than 20 MB.

Tick the "Include sub folders" and "Include hidden folders" tick boxes.

You have now targeted all files greater than 20 MB on C:\ including all such files in sub folders.

You can use the list feature (the Quick-Find/List menu item from the main window) to list all targets.

You can use the copy feature (the Quick-Find/Copy menu item from the main window) to copy or move these files to D:\

Note however, FileMonkey will also attempt to move files that are system files. For example, if you have a file that is larger than 20 MB and is used by windows as part of the operating system, if you are moving files, FileMonkey will move this file and then windows will not run properly when you next reboot. To avoid this, it is recommended that you only work on files such as personal files like for example, mp3 files.

If you are trying to create extra disk space, you may find that uninstalling programs that you do not use would help. From your windows start menu, select the control panel option. From the control panel, select "Add/remove programs" and use this feature to uninstall (delete) all stuff that you don't use anymore (or for Vista users, from the control panel, select "Programs and features" to uninstall programs).

You may also find that deleting your internet cache may also help. For example, if you are using internet explorer, select the "Tools/Internet Options" menu item and then select the "Delete Files..." button from the "General" tab. Use this to delete all offline content.

Also note that there may be 2 large files on your root drive, C:\pagefile.sys and C:\hyberfil.sys. These are part of your operating system. You can delete hyberfil.sys safely however, it will be created again if your system goes into hybernation. You will not be able to delete pagefile.sys unless you are running your computer in dos mode however, when you next reboot windows, the operating system will create this file again anyway, so there really isn't any need to delete it in the first place.

You may also have a load of junk files stored in temporary folders. If you know what you are doing then you can delete these. If not then you should use a disk cleaning utility (for example, ccleaner) to delete junk files.

You could also burn off any files that you dont use that much to cd or dvd or other external storage volumes.

| About Us | Privacy | Terms | Affiliates | Partners | Copyright ©2003 MonkeyJob Systems All Rights Reserved |