Forums Cache
Copyright MonkeyJob Systems 2005
All rights reserved

Home FAQ Current Forums Contact
 Search For Data

Documents-repository on our Windows SBS2003 server

Related Topics:
FileMonkey File Operations

Kindly advise if FoldMonkey (or another utility you may suggest) can be used for the following task: We have a documents-repository on our Windows SBS2003 server that consists of docs, xls's and tiffs, counting already 3000 files and growing. I am looking for a utility that would help detect files that have not been actually opened ( i.e. used) for xyz days (seems the built-in last-accessed attribute gets in some cases touched even if the doc was not actually opened). The utility should allow me to TRANSFER (erase after copy) such docs to DVDs for archieving, while PRESERVING their original folder-hierarchy. Better if the utility actually can burn DVDs but we would take if even if it only allows user to move such files to a temp location pending actual DVD transfer. Better if the utility can be auto-operated every xx days using the task-manager. The utility should run recursively on a folder with 400 subfolders, some having a few 3rd level subfolders. The utility would preferably remotely operate from my XP, but if necessary may be installed directly on our SBS2003 server.
monkeyjob

You can use FileMonkey to do this however, you would have to run the operation manually every time you want to use it. Also, FileMonkey cannot burn directly to dvd.

For example:

1. Right click on the FileMonkey icon and select "Run as administrator".

2. Left click down the folder tree on the left of the main window to find the root folder that you want to work on.

3. Click on the "Use Filters" arrow at the bottom left of the main window.

4. Clear all tick boxes (they may be clear by default)

5. Tick the "File Date" tick box and use the controls to enter a date modified range. This will target all files that were last saved within the entered range.

6. If you only want to target doc, tiff and xls files, you can enter a file pattern. Tick the "File Pattern" tick box and enter a pattern of *.doc;*.tiff;*.xls

7. Tick the "Include Sub Folders" and "Include Hidden Folders" tick boxes.

8. Next, select the "Quick-Find, Copy" menu item. This will open the copy files window.

9. From the copy files window, select "Move Files To:" from the first drop down menu.

10. Type or select a path in the next box. FileMonkey will move files to this path.

11. Tick the "Copy Folder Structure" tick box.

12. Click on "Start" to start the operation.

| About Us | Privacy | Terms | Affiliates | Partners | Copyright ©2003 MonkeyJob Systems All Rights Reserved |