Forums Cache
Copyright MonkeyJob Systems 2005
All rights reserved

Home FAQ Current Forums Contact
 Search For Data

Exit unexpected on Replace function

Related Topics:
General Tutorials

Josh E Hi. I'm running a multiple Search and Replace function (3 runs) on the contents of 149,561 files (unrestricted; no file limitations). Curiously, at 50% complete the progress bar indicates that it has processed about 17,000 files (instead of something closer to 75,000). Then, the real issue... it gets to about 56% complete and crashes. The resulting error window says, "FileMonk.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows...(and) An error log is being created." However, I can find no error log file (assuming it would be located under \Programs\FileMonkey\).

Suggestions?

Josh E.

PS: I also recently (just yesterday) updated to version 10.50, but still encountered the same problem.
monkeyjob
Site Admin
Hi,
thank you for taking the time to report this bug.

1. What version of windows are you running (including service pack)?

2. Did the operation terminate at the same point each time you tried it?

3. Are you running any programs that may be interfering with the normal running of FileMonkey (for example, virus scanners/file scanners or other background programs)?

4. If you use the list feature to list files, are all files listed successfully?

5. Are all files in the same folder or are there files in sub-folders?

Regards,
monkeyjob.
Josh E 1. Windows 2000 (5.00.2195) SP4

2. Roughly the same, but (while I've tried it many times) I didn't always sit around for an hour and watch for it to exit.

3. Dantz Retrospect, NetWare Services, Symantec AntiVirus, Windows Defender.

4. In the main window not all files get listed; when I use FM's List function it concludes by saying (among other things) Error: Large Result Set and appears to list only about 106,000 of the 149,426 files (i.e., in the file: FileMonkey Results Cache #.txt).

5. All files in one folder ...(or, if I run Replace from the next highest folder then all files are in one subfolder) -- both appear to have the same result where Replace exits unexpectedly.

Josh E.

PS/FYI: the Display/List Quota issue was previously reported and, according to 3/17/05 post: "we have (hopefully) now fixed this bug" (i.e., in version 9.61 of FileMonkey).
monkeyjob Hi,
we are currently unable to identify the source of this bug. We will continue to investigate. For the moment, we suggest that you take the following action:

1. Make a back up of your files.

2. Download and install version 10.51 of FileMonkey (select the Help/Update menu item from the main window).

3. Close all open programs including "Dantz Retrospect", "Symantec AntiVirus" and "Windows Defender" (these all actively scan your files).

4. Open FileMonkey. Target the parent folder of the sub folder that your files are in (we assume that the parent folder contains no files). Target sub folders (tick the "Include Sub Folders" tick box - we assume that there is only 1 sub folder that contains all of your files). Right-click on the file list and select "Target all files" from the pop-up menu.

5. Run the replace operation again. We suggest running only 1 run at a time.

Regards,
monkeyjob.
Josh E

Hi. I downloaded and installed the latest version (now 10.53) and closed all the active-scanning applications you mentioned. Once in FM, I targeted the parent folder (which contains no root files and just one subfolder) and targeted all files (F4) and checked: Include Sub Folders. This time (also at your suggestion) I attempted only a single run with the Search&Replace function, and after testing two (different) replaces, the result is the same:

"FileMonk.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows"
(and An error log is being created <---still not sure where this is).

I noticed a "Filtering Targets..." message at the top of the S&R window (that I hadn't see before) shortly after the operation began, and the operation seemed to run longer than previous attempts (this time 88% complete) but still the same result. You sure there isn't a file limit (or some other "ceiling") with this operation?

Thanks again for your time.
Josh

monkeyjob Hi,
we are still unable to find the source for this bug although we will continue to investigate. We note that the error message that you are receiving is a windows error message rather than a native FileMonkey error message. This could indicate a possible instability with your operating system. If this is the case then we may not be able to help you as Microsoft have already discontinued mainstream support for windows 2000.

The error log that you refer is generated by windows and is only accessible at the time of the error. You will note that there may be a "More Info" button which you can press to view the contents of the report.

There is no upper limit, the replace operation has been tested on up to 200,000 file contents with no reported issues.

We recommend that you take the following action:

1. Close all open windows and programs including virus scanners and programs in your system tray that you may not be using.

2. Press on you keyboard: Ctrl + Alt + Delete to open taskmanager. Close all unnecesary processes (if unsure, do not close).

3. Disable any screensavers or scheduled tasks that may interupt the operation.

4. You should have at least 1 GB of free disk space on the disk that you have stored your files.

5. Run Microsoft Scandisk and use it to error check the drive that your files are stored on.

6. Defragmenting the drive may help.

7. You may have registry problems. Downloading a registry scanning/fixing program may help.

8. It is usually more efficient to store files in multiple folders rather than have them all in the same folder. If possible, split your 150,000 files into 3 separate folders, each containing abount 50,000 files.

9. When using the replace feature, only use 1 run at a time. Only target 1 folder for each operation. While this is more work, you will be less likely to generate any errors.

Regards,
monkeyjob.
Josh E

When the error appears, unfortunately, there is no "More Info" button (or any other button besides "OK" or "Cancel). I'll continue to look for the error report log file now that I know it's not FM.

I'll also try the next suggested approach (i.e., closing all windows with defrag and registry check first, etc.) but I wonder if I could also send you a CD or DVD containing the single folder and 149,000+ files to see if you encounter the same result/error. The disk I'm attempting this on has ~35GB (18%) free, no ScanDisk error or irrugularities ...yet I'm not convinced this is a Windows 2000 issue either. If you could run the operation on a different platform that would make it a better test it seems -- let me know.

Note: storing the files in 3 separate folders creates additional complications because the files contain links to one another, so I would need to make numerous changes within the files ...even more than which would be efficiently corrected using FM. Then again, I could always move them back after the operation, but (as you suggest) this is too much work. I'll try your other suggestions first.

monkeyjob
Site Admin
Hi,
if possible, could you send us a screenshot of the error message.

What is the total size of all your 149000 files?

Rather than create 3 separate folders, you could try targeting 3 blocks of files. For example, firsly, target the parent folder that contains no files and then, you could use a target pattern of a*;b*;c*;d*;e* (disable all other file filters). This would target all files with names starting from a - e. You can then use the list feature to list files if you wish to confirm your targets.

Regards,
monkeyjob.

Josh E The total size of the all 149,561 files is about 2.3GB. I'm sending a screenshot to the filemonkey email address in a separate message.

I'm currently testing your latest suggestion (i.e., e*, t*, w*) ...this will reduce the no. of files to batches of ~50,000 each.

Also, not sure if this will help troubleshoot, but I noticed several temp files within the target folder (e.g., _TmpFiùó). They have timestamps that are consistent with the dates that I attempted to run the Replace function previously (e.g., 10/2/06, 9/29/06...) and their contents appear to be similar to the files that I'm attempting to run the Replace function on ...(so I'm assuming these are non-essential, interim files created during the operation). If it would help, I can forward one of these to you as well.

Josh
monkeyjob
Site Admin
Hi,
thanks, we have received the screenshot.

The temp files are usually deleted by FileMonkey however, in this case, the operating system terminates FileMonkey before these files are deleted. These are stray temporary files and you may safely delete them.

Please let us know if limiting the number of files does not work.

Regards,
monkeyjob.

| About Us | Privacy | Terms | Affiliates | Partners | Copyright ©2003 MonkeyJob Systems All Rights Reserved |